Thursday, June 2, 2022

Nostalgia: Lil Red Wagon

 Nostalgia: Lil Red Wagon

Honestly, I never have an image in mind for a tracker before I list the tracker on AQ. The first place I begin searching for an image to carve is in a folder of images that I've collected over time while searching for  images for other trackers. This time the search for something  nostalgic-- art that recalls memories & meanings from the past in a way that might be painful.

As soon as I saw the wagon, I knew this was a winner.  I like this image because it shows the childhood we all left behind. I decided 

I wanted to highlight the wagon in red and that would be the only color I would use. So I had to rework the original image by layering an image of a wagon outline over the top of the original. I do this in Word by using the "squared" alignment.


I decided the final image would not include the lettering "Radio Flyer" on the wagon because I needed a more ideal carving situation-- lighting and magnification-- to manage the micro details of the logo. 

At this point, I was already contemplating how I would add that text later: printed cardstock, printed sticker paper, or something else.


Finding the right background for a negative (kids) & positive (wagon) combined carving was the most challenging step for this card.  I searched through all my papers and then searched through a fellow crafter's papers.  When she pulled out this paper, I knew it was perfect to build the nostalgia theme. All the words, to me, were reminders of lost innocence, and maybe reminders of what is important as I grow older. I opted to emboss the solid image. 

Embellishments were easy. Red brads for the axels and gloss on the red wagon which was colored with Copic marker. I also painted the wheel hubs with a white gel pen. 

Not having a printer available, another scrapbooking friend helped me by making the title tags with her Cricut. I was happy...

If I could redo/revise the card,  I'd change the title tag. I think it is too big and the color of the cardstock takes my eyes away from what I want my central focus to be-- the lil red wagon. I'm now picking at the title tag to see how easily it could be removed. LOLAM.

I'm happy with this card but the more I look at it, the more I'm torn about the matting color and the title tag. 

And now I have picked the title tag off of one. I like that there are more background words showing through. Might try the sticker paper now. 

Well, that didn't work. I feel like it needs something but what? 

And now I'm removing the lil titles from all the cards.  LOLAM. Calling it done... again. 

Let me know what questions you have. Thanks for reading. 

Susan



1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! I love seeing what other boxers are creating. SHH :)

    ReplyDelete