Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Framing Decisions



When I begin working with an image, I want to determine what size and what layout-- portrait or landscape-- to use. It can be challenging to determine when looking at just the image. 
A couple easy tools that can help with that. First, an LTC sleeve and second, a frame.










By simply laying the sleeve over the printed image, I can determine if the size and the layout are what I'm wanting.










 
The second method is my favorite-- the frame. Using black cardstock, I create a frame with a cutout the size of an LTC. The heavier the cardstock, the more durability the frame will have for future use. 

The black frame blocks out all the noise around the image, allowing our eyes to focus on just the image-- it's size and its position within the LTC parameters.   








Which layout & image position appeals to you? 


Some layouts offer more or less white space to explore additional media. Often, I pay attention to where my eyes want to go on the card and how my eye movement affects the interpretation of the content. As I explore adding additional media, I consider how each element affects the tone I want to convey or the mood the observer might experience. 


Hopefully, these ideas might help you 
Enjoy the process (more or less)!







No comments:

Post a Comment